FT / PT Bike Mechanic
Company / Organization
Community cycling center
The Community Cycling Center strictly follows all OSHA guidelines related to COVID-19. We also take the following steps to protect our staff and our community:
• N95 are compulsory PPE for staff working on site (masks provided)
• HVAC units and air purifiers in each room are equipped with MERV-13 filters
• Doors and windows are kept open for ventilation whenever possible.
We pride ourselves on keeping the store safe for everyone and we wouldn’t want it to be any other way!
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY CYCLING CENTER
For more than 25 years, we have been a non-profit organization whose mission is to expand access to cycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to continue to build a vibrant community where people from all walks of life use the bike to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders, regardless of income or background, should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of cycling. It’s the motivation behind everything we do.
This position is offered at our full-service bicycle store located in the Alberta District in northeast Portland. Our high volume store is staffed with experienced mechanics from a variety of cycling backgrounds who provide compassionate customer service to a wide range of cyclists. Here at the store, we value and support each other in the work we do and we are committed to working together to achieve our goals. We recognize and value diversity and its many intersections. We are proud that people of color, women, neurodiverse, gender mavericks and LGBTQIA + people choose to work in our store. We encourage more people from diverse and diverse backgrounds to join our dynamic and talented team.
OVERALL SUMMARY OF THE POSITION:
The bicycle mechanic is responsible for supporting the mission of the Community Cycling Center. This includes evaluating and repairing bikes, assisting customers in choosing parts and accessories, and supporting our program team. Under the supervision of the store management team, the bicycle mechanic will strive to consistently and efficiently respond to customer requests and programming efforts. This position will require technical skills, attention to detail, the ability to multitask and act as an Ambassador for the Community Cycling Center.
• Evaluate and repair bikes for customers, repair bikes for retail and to use in our programs
• Make customers aware of the operation and maintenance of bicycles
• Help with the purchase of bicycles, parts and accessories
• Contribute to the retail environment – answer phones, maintain a safe, clean and organized workspace, etc.
• Work in collaboration with the rest of the team to achieve the objectives set by the store management team
• Move and lift bikes up to 50 lbs. is an integral part of this job, but reasonable accommodations can be made
• Support fundraising efforts
• Be a public support of the Center du cyclisme and represent the organization with positivity and consistency
• The ideal candidate has more than 3 years of experience in a high volume bicycle shop
• Constant concern for quality and details
• Ability to achieve quantitative production and service objectives
• Effective communicator
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment
• Commitment and respect for equity, sustainability and diversity
• Fluency in Spanish strongly desired (hourly premium for mastery)
• Familiarity with Lightspeed OS
• Mastery of ASL
RATES OF PAY AND BENEFITS:
SCHEDULE: Full time, 32-40 hours per week, including weekends
Part-time available on request (services from 30h / week)
COMPENSATION: $ 19 to start
BENEFITS: Health, dental, vision, life and more with approx. value of $ 400 / month. PTO up to 18 days / year for FT.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer. People with diverse abilities and experiences are encouraged to apply. People of color; women; trans and gender non-conforming people are encouraged to apply.
How to register
Submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, 3 references to [email protected] with “Bicycle Mechanic” in the subject line.