HONOLULU – Today, United States District Judge Jill A. Otake sentenced Kenneth Lim, 33, of Honolulu, to seven and a half years in prison and 15 years of supervised release for transporting pornography juvenile. Lim had previously pleaded guilty to the child pornography offense on March 2, 2022.
According to documents and information presented to the court, Lim admitted that on January 6, 2019, he arrived at Honolulu International Airport on a flight from Japan with thousands of pictures and videos. sexually explicit acts of underage girls between the ages of approximately six and 13. years stored on their electronic devices. After another flight to Honolulu in December 2019, law enforcement surprised Lim at the airport with additional child pornography images on his electronic devices. Additionally, in his plea agreement, Lim admitted to telling federal agents that he was previously arrested in Japan in 2016, for conduct related to his online contact with more than 100 underage girls. 10 to 12 years old. He used social media apps to engage these minors and admitted to exchanging nude images with some of them.
“Lim’s conduct demonstrates how predators use social media to exploit children, as well as store pornographic images of their victims on their electronic media,” said U.S. Attorney Clare E. Connors. . “The law provides for substantial prison sentences for the sexual exploitation of children, and it was fitting that Lim received one in this case.”
“Child sexual abuse is one of the most serious crimes HSI investigates,” said John F. Tobon, Special Agent in Charge, HSI Honolulu. “HSI is proud to work closely with our law enforcement partners to protect communities from egregious repeat offenders like Lim.”
This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the U.S. Attorney’s Offices and CEOS, Project Safe Childhood brings together federal, state, and local resources to better locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who exploit children through the Internet, as well as identify and rescue victims. For more information about the Safe Childhood Project, please visit www.justice.gov/psc.
Homeland Security Investigations conducted the investigation which resulted in the charge. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christine Olson and Rebecca A. Perlmutter prosecuted the case.